Lyseth Elementary School and Lyman Moore Middle School are neighbors – the two buildings are located right next door to each other on the same campus. But the two schools would like to do more to enhance their connection, which is why they’re holding a “Lyseth’s Bridge to Moore” event on Wednesday, Feb. 11.
The 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. event will be a showcase of the two schools, which not only have a lot to offer but also are united by one campus and one North Deering community. The event is designed to help build a “bridge” between Lyseth and Lyman Moore to foster a sense of community and enhance learning opportunities.
It begins at 6 p.m. at Lyman Moore with short clip from the film, “Schools That Change Communities,” which helped inspired the event. Following the viewing, the Moore Showcase will take place, with mini-tours of the school. At 7 p.m., everyone will walk the “bridge” to Lyseth for the Lyseth Showcase and refreshments. Wednesday’s event also will feature activities for children, including puppet making with Lyseth’s Artist-In-Residence, Nantz Comyns.
The showcases will include opportunities for parents, students and other community members to:
• Be part of the North Deering Community film with The Telling Room
• Learn about Moore’s new Food Pantry (please bring some items to donate)
• See Lyseth’s new Nature Playspace plans (groundbreaking this spring)
• See Moore’s new science labs (with equipment from IDEXX)
• Try a new food with Portland Public Schools’ Food Service and Food Corp.
• Learn about the new Moore Corp.-Lyseth-Moore Mentoring program.
Translators will be available for anyone who needs them.
Sponsors of the event include the Lyseth PTA; the North Deering Neighborhood Association (NDNA); and the Cumberland County Credit Union. For more info, please contact Cheryl Denis. (Cheryl@fishnwater.com)